Tuesday, October 3, 2017

After One Year of Being an Educator - Janae McMichael's (@kjmcmichael) Experience

Have you ever wondered how the first year of being an agricultural educator goes for that beginning teacher? If so, you are in luck for we are diving into the experience that Janae McMichael had this past year teaching at Lampeter-Strausburg High School in Lancaster County. She is one of the educators from the #psuaged16 cohort. The communications team had asked her several questions to better understand how her year went as a beginning teacher.

Janae had explained that her first year of being an educator was amazing and the best job ever. She enjoys how it is the most craziest, busiest, most stretching, and most rewarding job. Being an agricultural educator she had said, "I’ve learned a lot this past year and grown a lot. When I say a lot, I mean a lot! I think the biggest change I’ve seen in myself now that’ve got a year under my belt, is that you just have to give yourself some grace from time to time. I’ve learned to embrace the crazy and the chaos all in the honor of learning. I think I also learned the true value of just jumping in, both feet for whatever will come your way." She continues to learn everyday by asking questions and looking into resources in her built network of people. She believes that using seasoned teachers and industry professionals to better understand and apply knowledge to help educate her students. Her piece of advice to new teachers is, "Honor your time. Pick one day of the week where you leave at 3pm when everyone else does, a seasoned teacher called it “Walk Out Wednesday” and I’ve coined the same. That “white space” in my schedule where I went home and read my book or worked in my flower beds or headed to the gym has been and will surely continue to be so healthy for me. You can only fully serve your kiddos when you take care of yourself too!" 

Janae was inspired by the support from her administration and community when they hosted a showcase event in celebration of Pennsylvania AFNR Careers Week and Lancaster County Agriculture Week. She was also proud of her students who convinced their assistant superintendent to run a weld beed in one of their welding booths. She most enjoys being able to provide career opportunities for students. She stated, "Agriculture Education provides a unique platform to students to acquire the skills necessary to make them more marketable employees. I also love that I get the chance to daily influence the future of our industry." Janae absolutely loves her career as an agricultural educator and her first year was tremendous for her! We are glad you are providing opportunities for students, and doing the best you can to educate our future generations!



Luke Kerstetter

Student Blogger

Twitter Handle: @lmkerstetter96

2020 Agricultural Education Student Teacher









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting!

We will moderate and approve as appropriate!