Monday, November 4, 2019

The Intern's Eye View of The World Food Prize


When I first sat down to write this post, I wanted the direction to be centered around why educators should take students to the World Food Prize to participate in the Global Youth Institute. Starting with explaining what The World Food Prize (WFP) and the Global Youth Institute (GYI) are and then move into some of my experiences that might motivate educators to want to take students or inspire students that might read this to want to attend themselves because that fits the audience of these blogs. As I began to write and really reflect upon my experience though, I've realized that's not the story that I want to be known, that's not where my deepest learning lies.




I will still start with a little bit of background on what the World Food Prize is, so that there is some understanding about the event I am referencing.


What is the World Food Prize?

The World Food Prize (WFP) is the result of the vision of Dr. Norman E. Borlaug, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970. The prize is an international honor that recognizing those who have made contribution to advancing human development through improving the world’s food supply.

The Global Youth Institute (GYI) was created in 1994 to give students a voice in creating change. 200 high school students meet and discuss issues related to food security and agriculture internationally.


You can research more about the WFP and GYI on their website: https://www.worldfoodprize.org/en/about_the_prize/


My story

I was beyond excited to be able to attend the World Food Prize in general and was even more excited to be there as part of the Global Teach Ag! Team - to learn more about Global Guides, work with the professors, etc. I honestly had not put a lot of thought into what I expected to get out of the experience beyond some networking opportunities, I just knew that I would get to be surrounded by people that I aspired to be like. People that were working towards creating global food security and loved working with youth.

The #WFPGlobalGuides Team


We talked about ‘Our Why’ a lot during the global guides program, especially in relation to digital storytelling, but also overarching as to why we were even at the WFP. I specifically remember the night we had our GlobalGuides Session in the mural room at the Hall of Laurates. I was sitting with a group of teachers and we were supposed to be telling each other about our whys. One of the teachers honed right in on me and wanted to know what my why was and honestly, I didn’t have a meaningful answer. After some prodding I came up with some words, but even as they left my mouth, they felt scripted and clique.
The beginning of the #WFPGlobalGuides session in the mural room. 

Throughout the week I slowly realized that as I’ve been wrapped up in all the busyness of my own life, trying to get to the next phase, I had somehow forgot about the part of me that has a passion for being a part of international work related to food security and safe drinking water. I have always had a desire and felt called to work to alleviate hunger, specifically in Africa. Those feelings have changed slightly throughout my life for particular reasons, but that is always where I have re-landed. That night in the mural room particularly left me in a lot of deep thought remembering these things and thinking about life reevaluation.

A different night we had a VIP guest from Corteva, who started out in Agricultural Education come talk at a GlobalGuides session. As I was in this spot of contemplating what my ‘Why’ is and since I graduate in May with not really a clue of where I want to end up, some things that she said really resonated with me. She talked about how we don’t have career paths, but instead we have career adventures.

The speaker from Corteva. 
My education path has already really been an adventure, and attending WFP was a piece in that story. I think that throughout the next few years as I start my post-graduation career adventure, I will really get to look back at my week spent learning from everyone around me at the WPF and see that it played a pivotal role in where I end up. Not necessarily because of all the information that I took in, but because of the people I met and the fact that in its own way, it made me slow down. It’s crazy to think that through the whirlwind of chaos that taking another week away from classes caused in my life, that I could have slowed down, but during that bubble of time WFP, actually forced me to slow down and ask myself what I am truly passionate about and how I can make those passions and my career collide. Looking past what everyone around me is doing and where they expect me to end up.

I left the World Food Prize even more confused as to what my own future holds, but I also left encouraged and filled with hope for our future because of the amazing, motivated, and caring people that I was blessed to spend my week surrounded by, and with the reignited belief in the power of education. Most importantly though, I left that week with a deeper understanding of my own ‘Why’.




Kaitlin Liszka
#PSUAgEd20
@KaitlinLiszka

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting!

We will moderate and approve as appropriate!