Friday, October 14, 2022

Announcing the October Student of the month, Elizabeth Holtry

  October 2022 AEE Student Of The Month

Elizabeth Holtry 


    Each month the Center for Professional Personnel Development recognizes students that have outstanding achievements both academically and with extra-curricular activities and involvement. We are excited to announce that Liz Holtry is the October 2022 Agricultural and Extension Education Student of the Month!

    Liz’s hometown is Newburg, PA, and she is a 2020 graduate of Chambersburg Area Senior High School. Liz attended the PSU Branch Campus Mont Alto. She said that "it was a wonderful time at a beautiful campus conveniently situated 45 minutes from home. This is where I completed a year of dual enrollment and my freshman year of college".


    She will graduate in 2023 with a BS in Agricultural and Extension Education. When asked about her future plans she responded, " I plan to teach high school agriculture and inspire the future of such a growing and changing industry. I hope to give my students the same if not more opportunities than I was given in high school to develop themselves as tomorrow’s leaders".



    Liz shares that she chose Penn State because of the welcoming Teach Ag! Family! Penn State was also where all three of her ag teachers attended college, and since they had inspired her to become an agricultural educator, she thought it would be a great fit.


         "My favorite PSU Class has been Animal Science 201. Mr. Dale Olver and the TAs of my lab taught me so much relevant animal science knowledge that helped prepare me to teach animal science to my future students."

    "Over the course of my time at Penn State, I have been a member of the PSU FFA Alumni and Supporters chapter and Penn State Dairy Science Club. I have also enjoyed working during my time at Penn State as an intern for the Global Teach Ag Network, milking cows for both Beidel Brothers and Rustik Dairy, and serving as a Substitute teacher for Chambersburg Area School District."

Awards banquet for PSU FFA Alumni
and Supporters Chapter

    
















    Something about Liz is that her favorite sports team is  "The Roxbury Red Socks, a local Adult Men's Softball team from my area". And her favorite hangout on campus is in Ferguson. "On most days I can be found in 214, or somewhere in the building! There is always someone to lend a helping hand or answer one of my many questions!" Her favorite place to eat in state College is Champs Sports Grill. Her hobbies include being outdoors, hiking, fishing, and hunting with her family and friends. Another thing she enjoys is reading and traveling when she has time.


    Liz has an FFA Background and was a member and officer of the Chambersburg FFA from 8th through 9th Grade. "I initially served as the Middle School’s secretary, and then served as the high school’s historian (9th), secretary (10th), and president (11th and 12th) for two years. I enjoyed participating in community and chapter events like the Franklin County Fall Farm Fun Fest, Gleaning Apples for those in need, and our Fall Harvest Party. I also enjoyed competing in Forestry, Wildlife, and Public Speaking at both the area and State levels."



"Picture from Grandparents' farm in 2004"
   "My passion for agriculture originated as I grew up spending time on my grandparent’s farm. I was able to help raise steers, hogs, sheep, and chickens on their farm. Seeing my Mimi and Pappy’s hard work turn labor into food to feed our family inspired my love for agriculture. My childhood was filled with fun adventures of sheering sheep, feed runs, and chasing hogs and steers, creating a love for the ag industry. I also considered going into Forestry to follow in my dad’s footsteps. Forestry is still a passion that I have, and I think that Ag Ed is a great way to tie many of my passions into a career."            




    "One interesting thing about me is that I am a recipient of the Dairy Shrine and Dairy Management Inc. Education and Communication Scholarship this year, which I received at the World Dairy Expo in Maddison, Wisconsin."


Liz and her cooperating teacher


    Liz will be student teaching at Shippensburg Area Senior High School. When asked what she is most excited about during student teaching, she responded: "I am most excited to learn how to balance planning for the classroom and running FFA activities during student teaching. I will be teaching 6 classes while student teaching. It will include Ag Leadership, Companion Animal Science, Small Gas Engine, Horticulture, Wildlife, and Ag Mechanics.


    Her favorite quote is "I alone know the plans I have for you, plans to bring you prosperity and not disaster, plans to bring about the future you hope for." Jeremiah 29:11









                                                Be sure to follow Liz on her journey on Twitter @MsHoltry







Sara Lichty
CPPD Student Worker
Agricultural Sciences
Class of 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting!

We will moderate and approve as appropriate!