Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Congratulations Heather Wasson #psuaged18 member Hired!

Congratulations Heather Wasson! Ms. Wassson a #psuaged18 cohort member was recently hired at Huntingdon Area High School in Huntingdon, PA!

While Heather was attending Penn State she was a part of Dairy Science Club, Ag Student Council, Delta Sigma Fraternity, Collegiate FFA, and Teach Ag! Society. Ms. Wasson student taught at Cowanesque Valley High School. During her student teaching she taught Metal I, Ag Science, Horticulture, and Family Consumer Science. While she was there she had a community-based unit, and she worked with the Tioga County Extension to hold a Pesticide Meeting for farms to get points for their spray license.

Ms. Wasson will be the sole teacher at Huntingdon Area High School which has had an agriculture program since 1958. She took over Mr. Armstrong's position because he was hired at Mifflinburg High School. Heather grew up 10 minutes from the Huntingdon County line. She states, "I am lucky enough to know a lot of the agriculture community through my father doing custom farming and participating at the Huntingdon County fair to exhibit my Holstein cattle." Huntingdon Area School District is unique to her because it is the opposite of where she grew up, but still close to home. It is a rural are and the high school is quarter the size of State College. She exclaims, "However, that is what I like about it! I like that it is different than home. It reminds me of where I student taught." The community supports the agricultural program well. She will be teaching SAE/Independent Study, Ag Industry Project, Ag Metalworking, Small Animal Science, Large Animal Science, and Ag Leadership.

Heather expressed, Wow. I feel blessed to have been offered this opportunity. To say I am not a little scared for the future would be wrong. Of course, I am scared, but I am only scared that I may not meet my own expectations. However, I feel very positive about the future! Huntingdon High School has a very supportive community, staff, and students that stand behind each other. With all this I feel I can succeed in this program.” She also provided advice to those looking to go into Ag Ed. "My advice for anyone looking to go into agriculture education is DRIVE. Once you become an educator about something you are passionate about you will not look back and will be driven to keeping moving forward in this occupation."

Congratulations Heather! We cannot wait to see how you inspire, motivate, and change lives through your agriculture program in the coming years!





Luke Kerstetter
Communications Team Member
Twitter Handle: @Luke_Kerstetter
2020 Agriculture Education Student Teacher



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting!

We will moderate and approve as appropriate!